A rational approach to risk reduction
Dr Andrew Chadwick, Consultant (Life Sciences and Healthcare) at Tessella gave this presentation on “Rational Approach to Risk Reduction: What can discovery screening planners learn from volcanos and dust detection?”, on Wednesday 6th June 2010, covering the following topics:
- The purpose of screening and the principles of value-adding screening plans
- The importance of finding the right, tailored screening plan for each project
- Risk perception and the pitfalls of cognitive biases for decision-making
- Metrics that should guide the choice, sequence, combinations and cut-offs for tests
- Ways of balancing the important factors (downstream consequences of error, cost and time for screening, and predictive performance)
- The need to overcome the challenge of uncertain inputs
- What is the right balance between exploitation and exploration of product options and technology performance?
- Effective approaches to supporting learning and continuous improvement
Andrew gave this presentation at the 11th Annual Drug Discovery Leaders Summit, June 9-10th, 2010, Montreux, Switzerland.
These are the slides that Andrew presented.
A copy of Andrew’s slides is available as a PDF file.